Changing Our Ways (EnerAction)
After charting their energy use for a twenty-four hour period, students look for ways to reduce it. They implement energy saving strategies, and then track their energy use for another twenty-four hour period. As they reflect on their experiences, students consider the challenges to change and then identify an action plan that they can commit to and chart for a full two weeks. Engaging, linked to the curriculum, full lesson.
Time Required: 2 hours
See link to EnerAction website with full curriculum expectations, Grades 4 to 7, covered by this and and the suite of EnerAction lessons (14 in all) (Science, Social Studies, Language and Mathematics)
For the Changing Our Ways lesson:
* track and think critically about their own personal energy use
* clarify their concerns about energy use and waste in relation to themselves and their families
* establish their own opinions about energy use and waste
* reflect on their potential for changing both their behaviour and attitudes about energy use
Changing Our Ways lesson includes:
* lead-in activity
* main activity
* wrap up activity
* adaptations and extensions
Integrated into the lesson with Assessment Rubric
With student worksheet for charting their energy use
Resource Type:Lesson Plan
Subject(s):Mathematics, Science, English / Language Arts, Interdisciplinary Studies, Social Studies,
Topic:Energy Use and Conservation, Solutions, Taking Action,
Level:Primary / ElementaryIntermediate / Middle
Grade:JKK 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Web Pages Used
No comments have been posted yet. You could be first!
Please login to post a comment.